Friday, October 14, 2011

Devotion for today: Yearning for eternal life

Scripture for meditation: Revelation 7:13-14, 16-17:
Then one of the elders asked me, "Who are these people all dressed in white?" I said to him, "Sir, you should know better than I." He then told me, "These are the ones who have survived the great period of trial; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb."
"Never again shall they know hunger or thirst, nor shall the sun or its heat beat down on them, for the Lamb on the throne will shepherd them. He will lead them to springs of life-giving water, and God will wipe every tear from their eyes."

Christ says: Matthew 5:8:
Blest are the single-hearted, for they shall see God.

St. Teresa of Avila tells us: Blessed are those who are written in the book of this life; but, you, my soul, if you are written there, why are you sad and why do you disturb me? Hope in God, for even now I will confess my sins and His mercies. And putting these all together, I shall make a song of praise with perpetual sighs to my savior and my God. There may come a day when my glory will sing to Him, and when my conscience will not feel compunction, where all sighs and fears will have ceased; but in the meantime, in silence and hope will be my strength. I want to live and die in striving and hoping for eternal life more than for the possession of all creatures and all their goods; for these will come to an end. Don't abandon me, Lord, because I hope that in You my hope will not be confounded; may I always serve You; and do with me whatever you will. (The Collected Works of St. Teresa of Avila, vol.1)

Prayer: Psalm 42:2-3, 6: Desire for God and His temple
As the hind longs for running water, so my soul longs for you, O God.
Athirst is my soul for God, the living God.
When shall I behold the face of God?
Why are you so downcast O my soul?
Why do you sigh within me?
Hope in God! For I shall again be thanking Him,
in the presence of my savior and my God.

My thoughts: Tomorrow is the feast of St. Teresa of Avila. She is one of my favorite saints for many reasons, one of which is that she had a sense of humor. She once said, "If this is the way you treat your friends, Lord, no wonder you have so few!" She was also capable of tremendous insight as her lesson teaches us today. Longing for heaven, for the life to come, will keep us focused on our true goal in life and put all our suffering and sacrifice in perspective. Christ reminds us that those who serve God out of love for Him and not primarily for their own interests are headed for heaven. Washed in the blood of the Lamb, we will no longer long for our God: we shall see Him face to face and bask in His love. Let us join St. Teresa as she states, "I want to live and die striving for eternal life."

Your prayer to God: We all have a picture of heaven. For some it is  a place filled with angels and friends; for others it is a lush garden filled with trickling streams and vibrant flowers. Whatever you see when you think about heaven, imagine yourself sitting there now, completely at peace, having survived your great trial. Your robe is white, and Christ is smiling at you, welcoming you home. Keep this vision before you when you are tempted to seek the transitory glories of this world, and say to God, "May I always serve you; and then do with me as you will."

Reminder:  Please continue to send it suggestions for future posts, material you have found that you want to share, original stories, prayers and poetry. I will continue to change this site as material becomes available!

No comments: