Monday, November 28, 2011

Devotion for today: But I don’t know the way…

Scripture for meditation: John 1:19-23
The testimony John gave when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask, “Who are you?” was the direct statement, “I am not the Messiah.” They questioned him further, “Who, then? Elijah?” “I am not Elijah,” he answered. “Are you the Prophet?” “No,” he replied. Finally they said to him: “Tell us who you are, so that we can give some answer to those who sent us. What do you have to say for yourself?” He said, quoting the prophet Isaiah, “I am ‘a voice in the desert, crying out: Make straight the way of the Lord!”
Christ tells us: John 14:5-6
“Lord,” said Thomas, “we do not know where You are going. How can we know the way?” Jesus told him: “I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.”
In the book Catholicism and Life, we learn:
A healthy sign of mental balance is a knowledge of who we are and where we are going. If that standard were applied to a lot of Christians these days, their mental health might be in doubt. We are human beings with a body and soul, and we are supposed to be trying to get to heaven. The best way that we can achieve that goal is to keep the Commandments, listen to the Church that Jesus left to guide us, and receive the Sacraments that He gave us to strengthen us along the road. We are not here merely to mark time or to “get the most out of life,” but to follow Jesus, who is the way, the truth, and the life. Failing to do so would be like failing to cash in a winning lottery ticket, although that would mean just losing money, while failure to follow Jesus will mean losing our soul. But the choice is ours to make. God does not send anyone to hell. People send themselves to hell by deliberately choosing something other than God, whether it’s money or power or pleasure or whatever, and making that their god. It would be one thing if we had to struggle through life with no blueprint to follow and no special helps from God. But we have been given both by a generous and loving God, and how foolish we would be not to take advantage of them. Rev. Edward J. Hayes, Rev. Msgr. Paul J. Hayes, and James J. Drummey, C.R. Publications, 1996.

Prayer: Psalm 119:25-32
I lie prostrate in the dust; give me life according to Your word.
I declared my ways and You answered me; teach me your statutes.
Make me to understand the way of Your precepts, and I will meditate on your wondrous deeds.
My soul weeps for sorrow; strengthen me according to Your words.
Remove from me the way of falsehood; and favor me with your law.
The way of truth I have chosen, I have set Your ordinances before me.
I cling to your decrees; O Lord, let me not be put to shame.
I will run the way of Your commands when you give me a docile heart.

My thoughts: We are now in the holy season of Advent, when our time should be spent preparing our hearts for the coming of Christ: in His birth, into our hearts, and at the end of time. It is very easy to spend the next four weeks consumed in the preparation of our homes, our parties, our gifts for family and friends, and forget that this is a sacred time of prayer, fasting, almsgiving and renewal of our commitment to live the way of Christ. John the Baptist, in quoting Isaiah the prophet, reminds us that this is the time to straighten out our lives and get back on the right path, the way of the Lord. Jesus Himself tells us that He is the way, and that our lives should pattern themselves after His: a life of service, sacrifice and selflessness. Our commentators remind us quite clearly that we have a blueprint for this “way” we are to follow: the Commandments, the Church, the Sacraments. Let us do as the psalmist cries out, and ask God to “remove from me the way of falsehood, and favor me with your law.” The home that needs prepared is our heart, the party that counts is the one that awaits us in heaven, and the only gift we need is the gift of Christ Himself.

Our prayer to God: This week let us concentrate on reviewing the 10 commandments, and looking at them with new eyes: eyes searching for the message meant only for us. As you find the ones most difficult for you to practice or accept, remember to pray, “Dear God, please give me a docile heart that I may run in the ways of your commands.” Then let peace replace the stress of “the season.”

No comments: