Friday, November 18, 2011

Devotion for today: Christ is King


Sunday the Church celebrates the Feast of Christ the King. It is the last Sunday of this liturgical year.

Scripture for meditation: Philippian 2:10-11
That at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow, of those that are in heaven, on earth and under the earth; and that every tongue should confess that the Lord Jesus Christ is in the glory of God the Father.

Christ tells us: John 18:36-39
"My Kingdom is not of this world.” At this Pilate said to Him, “So, then, You are a king?” Jesus replied: “You are right in saying I am a King. The reason I was born, the reason why I came into the world, is to testify to the truth."

Pope Pius XI explains, in his Encyclical Letter Quas Primas #11-12:
Christ Himself speaks of His Own kingly authority: in His last discourse, speaking of the rewards and punishments that will be the eternal lot of the just and the damned; in His reply to the Roman magistrate, who asked Him publicly whether He were a king or not; after His resurrection, when giving to His Apostles the mission of teaching and Baptizing all nations, He took the opportunity to call Himself king, confirming the title publicly, and solemnly proclaimed that all power was given Him in Heaven and on earth. These words can only be taken to indicate the greatness of his power, the infinite extent of His kingdom. What wonder, then, that He Whom St. John calls the "prince of the kings of the earth" appears in the Apostle's vision of the future as He Who "hath on His garment and on His thigh written 'King of kings and Lord of lords!'." It is Christ Whom the Father "hath appointed heir of all things"; "for He must reign until at the end of the world He hath put all his enemies under the feet of God and the Father." It was surely right, then, in view of the common teaching of the sacred books, that the Catholic Church, which is the kingdom of Christ on earth, destined to be spread among all men and all nations, should with every token of veneration salute her Author and Founder in her annual liturgy as King and Lord, and as King of Kings. And, in fact, she used these titles, giving expression with wonderful variety of language to one and the same concept, both in ancient psalmody and in the Sacramentaries.
Consecration CHRIST, Jesus, I acknowledge Thee as King of the universe. All that has been made has been created for Thee. Make full use of Thy rights over me. I renew the promises I made in Baptism when I renounced Satan and all his pomps and works. I promise to live a good Christian life. Especially, I undertake to help, to the extent of my means, to secure the triumph of the rights of God and of Thy Church. Divine Heart of Jesus, I offer Thee my poor efforts so that all hearts may acknowledge Thy sacred Royalty and the Kingdom of Thy peace may be established throughout the entire universe. Amen.  www.catholictradition.org

My thoughts: Let us take time to ask ourselves these questions: Is Christ my King? Does He reign over my heart? Have I chosen to prepare my heart and soul for Him, as I would prepare my home for a visit from a King? Do I live in obedience to His laws, accepting His will for my life? Christ is King, He will come in glory at the end of time to judge the living and the dead, and His kingdom will have no end. Let us share in that kingdom now by turning our lives over to Him.

Your prayer to God:  Our King is a King of Peace. His reign is inside of us, not in this world. He suffered and died so that we may live forever. All the gifts He has, He has shared with us. It is time to offer Him thanks and praise. The King of Glory is here! Lift up your voices! Holy, holy, holy Lord! God of power and might! Heaven and earth are full of Your glory!  Hosanna in the highest. Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord. Hosanna in the highest!

No comments: