Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Devotion for today: Thank You, Mother!

 In preparing for Thanksgiving, let us give thanks for the gift of Mary, our Blessed Mother
Scripture for meditation:  John 2:1-5 Wedding at Cana
 On the third day there was a wedding at Cana in Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. Jesus and His disciples had likewise been invited to the celebration. At a certain point the wine ran out, and Jesus’ mother told Him, “They have no more wine.” Jesus replied, “Woman, how does this concern of yours involve me? My hour has not yet come.” His mother instructed those waiting on table, “Do whatever He tells you.”
Christ tells us: John 19:25-26
Near the cross of Jesus there stood His mother, His mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. Seeing His mother there with the disciple whom he loved, Jesus said to His mother, “Woman, behold your son.” “In turn He said to the disciple, “There is your mother.” From that hour onward, the disciple took her into his care.
In her diary, Saint Faustina relates to us this vision:  Before Holy Communion I saw the Blessed Mother inconceivably beautiful. Smiling at me she said to me, “…but I desire that you…be my child. I desire…that you practice the three virtues that are dearest to me – and most pleasing to God. The first is humility, humility, humility and once again, humility; the second virtue, purity; the third virtue, love of God. As My daughter, you must especially radiate with these virtues.” The Diary of Saint Faustina, 1412-1415.
Prayer:  Lovely Lady Dressed In Blue
Lovely Lady dressed in blue, teach me how to pray! God was just your little boy, tell me what to say!
Did you lift Him up, sometimes, gently on your knee? Did you sing to Him the way Mother does to me?
Did you hold His hand at night? Did you ever try Telling stories of the world? O! And did He cry?
Do you really think He cares if I tell Him things ------- Little things that happen? And Do the Angels' wings
Make a noise? And can He hear Me if I speak low? Does He understand me now?
Tell me, for you know. Lovely Lady dressed in blue, teach me how to pray!
God was just your little boy, and you know the way.
Mary Dixon Thayer

……

My thoughts: We are so blessed to have a heavenly Mother who loves us so much! She takes our needs to her Son, then returns to us and says, “Do whatever He tells you.” Her instructions to Saint Faustina sound so typical of a loving mother, “Stand up straight, eat your peas, and practice the three most pleasing virtues to God.” How wonderful is that! We have a mother who loves us unconditionally! The Prayer reminds us of the childlike love and awe we should have for Mary. No matter hold old we are, we can always use a Mother’s care and love. Oh, and practice humility. I have a feeling that is really, really important!
Our prayer to God: Today is a good day to stop and thank Mary for being such a good Mother, one who loves us enough to give us spiritual advice and take our petitions to her son. Let us also thank Christ for giving us such a wonderful gift. Lovely Lady dressed In Blue…I love You!

No comments: