Thursday, January 19, 2012

Devotion for today: leading ordinary lives in extraordinary ways

Let’s take time during “ordinary time” to look at a few individuals who did their ordinary jobs in extraordinary ways.

Scripture for meditation: Galatians 2:19-20
I have been crucified with Christ, and the life I live now is not my own; Christ is living in me. I still live my human life, but it is a life of faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Christ tells us: John 15:13
There is no greater love than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends

Father Vincent Capodanno, Servant of God. LT, CHC, USNR (The Grunt Padre)
Vincent Capodanno was born on February 13th, 1929, in Staten Island, New York. After attending a year at Fordham University, young Vincent Capodanno entered the Maryknoll Missionary Seminary in upstate New York in 1949…. After finishing officer candidate's school, Father Capodanno reported to the 7th Marines, in Vietnam, in 1966. When his tour was complete, he requested an extension, served in the naval hospital and then reported to the 5th Marines. He gained a reputation for always being there--for always taking care of his Marines. Lieutenant Joseph E. Pilon, MD states: “Over here [Vietnam] there is a written policy that if you get three Purple Hearts you go home within 48 hours. On Labor Day, our battalion ran into a world of trouble- when Father C. (Capodanno) arrived on the scene it was 500 Marines against 2500 North Vietnamese Army Regulars. Needless to say, we were constantly on the verge of being completely overrun and the Marines on several occasions had to advance in a retrograde movement. This left the dead and wounded outside the perimeter as the Marines slowly withdrew. Casualties were running high and Father C. had his work cut out for him. Early in the day, he was shot through the right hand which all but shattered his hand- one corpsman patched him up and tried to med evac him but Father C declined saying he had work to do. A few hours later, a mortar landed near him and left his right arm in shreds hanging from his side. Once again, he was patched up and once again he refused evacuation. There he was, moving slowly from wounded to dead to wounded using his left arm to support his right as he gave absolution or Last Rites, when he suddenly spied a corpsman get knocked down by the burst of an automatic weapon. The corpsman was shot in the leg and couldn't move and understandably panicked. Fr. C. ran out to him and positioned himself between the injured boy and the automatic weapon. Suddenly, the weapon opened up again and this time riddled Father C. from the back of his head to the base of his spine- and with his third Purple Heart of the day- Father C. went home.” On May 21, 2006, thirty-nine years after his death on the battlefield of Vietnam, Capodanno was publicly declared Servant of God, the first step towards canonization.
Of Father Capodanno's involvement in Operation Swift, John Lobur has said “I did not see Father when we embarked and I did not notice him anywhere as we approached the shooting.  I assumed he was with Lieutenant Murray who was our company commander at the time. Typically a chaplain would remain with the command post as he- like the skipper, a corpsmen, air and artillery forward observers and radiomen- were not expected to run right up the gut like we were.”
Bill Avery states: “I served with India Co. 3rd Bn 5th Marines from March 1967 to April 1968. I also fought on operation Swift. Prior to Ops Swift, I had complained to Senior Officers about the lack of spiritual comfort in the jungles, since we were in the bush & jungles on a continuous basis. July 1967 a Chaplain got off a helicopter in a very hostile area of the jungle. He set up a cross on a fallen tree in a small clearing. He held services as gunfire was all around. Chaplain Capodanno lifted my heart and soul with his words and prayers. It has been 44 years, but I will never forget the relief I felt. Chaplain Capodanno did make a difference! (All information for this section is taken from http://www.vincentcapodanno.org/.)
For more information on Fr. Vincent Capodanno, read The Grunt Padre by Fr Daniel Mode, priest of the Catholic Diocese of Arlington, VA.

My thoughts: How can we, in our simple, everyday lives, be extraordinary like Fr. Capodanno? It is quite easy, and we can start today. Why don’t we say the following prayer? It gives God total control to use us as He sees fit. I think Fr. Capodanno, Servant of God, would be proud of us if we did.

Prayer:  Jesus, I’m very weak. I don’t have much to offer. In fact – too often I’ve been distant as I’ve followed you – and yet – behold, here I am, Lord. Take me and use me as you desire. Use me to make you known and loved, weak though I am. Help me to love you. Jesus, I see how gentle you are, and I trust you. I know that you know me better than I know myself. You know what I can take. I put myself completely into your hands. Use me to help you, weak though I am. You may not be able to do much with me…then again, I’ve seen you work miracles before. Do with me what you can. Behold, I believe. Help my unbelief. I trust in you. (Consoling the Heart of Jesus, Fr. Michael E. Gaitley, MI; Marian Press, copyright 2011,)

No comments: