Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Devotion for today: Father, into Your hands I commend My Spirit

Today we come to the end of our study of Christ's last words . In His seventh “last statement" Jesus hands His spirit back to His Father, His task on earth complete.

Scripture for meditation: Luke 23:44
It was now around midday and darkness came over the whole land until midafternoon with an eclipse of the sun. The curtain in the sanctuary was torn in two. Jesus uttered a loud cry and said, “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.” After he said this, he expired.

Scripture for reflection: Psalm 31:5
Into thy hands I commend my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O Lord, the God of truth.

Henri Nouwen tells us: One day, I was sitting with Rodleigh, the leader of the troupe, in his caravan, talking about flying. He said, "As a flyer, I must have complete trust in my catcher, The public might think that I am the greatest star of the trapeze, but the real star is Joe, my catcher. He has to be there for me with split-second precision and grab me out of the air as I come to him in the long jump."
"How does it work?" I asked.
"The secret," Rodleigh said, "is that the flyer does nothing and the catcher does everything: when I fly to Joe, I have simply to stretch out my arms and hands and wait for him to catch me and pull me safely over the apron behind the catchbar."
"You do nothing!" I said, surprised.
"Nothing," Rodleigh repeated. "A flyer must fly, and a catcher must catch, and the flyer must trust, with outstretched arms that his catcher will be there for him."
When Rodleigh said this with so much conviction, the words of Jesus flashed through my mind: "Father into your hands I commend my Spirit." Dying is trusting in the catcher. To care for the dying is to say, "Don't be afraid. Remember that you are the beloved child of God. He will be there when you make your long jump. Don't try to grab him; he will grab you. Just stretch out your arms and hands and trust, trust, trust." (Henri J. M. Nouwen A Roman Catholic Priest: Our Greatest Gift: A Meditation On Dying And Caring, Harper, 1994)

Prayer: Prayers of St. Bridget
O Jesus! I remember the simple and humble recommendation You made of Your Soul to Your Eternal Father, saying, "Father, into Your Hands I commend My Spirit," and when, Your Body all torn and Your Heart broken, You expired. By this precious death, I beg You to comfort me and give me help to resist the devil, the flesh and the world, so that, being dead to the world, I may live for You alone. I beg of You at the hour of my death to receive me. Amen.

My thoughts: When I was studying to be a grief counselor, we were taught that most people die the way they live. Lying in bed, waiting to “make their long jump” as Henri Nouwen calls it, some people were so agitated, angry, crying, terrified, and alone. Others were so peaceful, resting comfortably, praying or surrounded by praying family and friends. When the time came, they closed their eyes and slipped into God’s outstretched arms. Giving our spirits to God implies more than giving our hearts or minds or bodies. “Into your hands I commend my spirit” is giving God the only part of us that lives on. It is the only part of us that was ever heaven-bound from the beginning. We came from God, and we are meant to return to God. Live in the peace and love of God, follow His commands, love and serve His people, and commend your spirit to His trusting arms. Your will forever rest secure, here, and in the world to come.

Our prayer to God: Now I lay me down to sleep
 Now as I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
Please, guard me, Jesus, through the night,
And keep me safe till morning's light.
But should I die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take.
And should I live for other days,
I pray that God will guide my ways.
Amen

No comments: