Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Devotion for today: In the Name of the Father...


On Sunday we will celebrate the Feast of the Holy Trinity. To prepare for this feast, let us look at the reasons for making the Sign of the Cross.

Scripture for meditation: Matthew 28:19
“Go therefore, and teach all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.”

OFFICE OF CATHOLIC PUBLICATIONS, Imprimatur, 1877 and THE CATECHIST, by the Very Rev. Canon Howe, Imprimatur, 1898 … Let us take, for example, the Sign of the Cross, that simple religious act which is so universal and so frequently practiced during the course of the day. We all make this holy sign, but how many of us give any thought to the mysteries it signifies! … From want of reflection, we fail to attach to the Sign of the Cross the importance that it merits. It was first instituted by the Apostles themselves, who, invested with the authority of Jesus Christ, taught this religious practice to the first disciples of the Gospel.  The Sign of the Cross is the sign of the Christian, that is to say, it is the outward sign which distinguishes the Christian from other men. And why is this?  1st. Because it recalls to him who makes it, and to those who see it made, that Jesus Christ is the God of Christians and the Lord of their whole lives. Because it reminds us that God has loved us so much as to give Himself up for our sakes to suffer on the Cross, and that we must love Him with our whole hearts...  2nd. The Sign of the Cross is distinctively the sign of the Christian, because it reminds him of the blessed eternity which awaits him. It was after His passion and death that Jesus rose again, and by His Cross He entered into glory. And so it must be with His disciples. Their glory in heaven must be the full fruition of the crucified life they have led on earth... The Gospel also declares to us that when He shall come at the last day to judge the world, the sacred sign of the Cross shall appear in the heavens, to be recognized by the elect with thankfulness and love, and by the reprobate with fear and trembling... 3rd. It is the sign of the Christian because it brings before his mind the most important doctrines of the Catholic religion. It recalls the mystery of the holy and undivided Trinity, for in making it we say, In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost; three persons, but one God. In the name; and not: In the names... And the mystery of the Church...for it recalls by its unity that the Church is one, and by its universality that the Church is Catholic.  In considering all that is symbolized by this sacred Sign, we may therefore clearly understand why it is employed by the Church in the administration of all holy things, in the Sacraments, in every blessing, at the beginning and end of her prayers, Let us make it often, but especially when tempted and when troubled; also before and after meals; and when we make it, let us be careful to remember what it signifies, and the obligations imposed on all who bear the holy name of Christians.

Prayer: The Sign of the Cross for children, by Victor Hoagland, C.P.
I open my hand and touch my brow, In the name of the Father I say. Come bless me, God, come bless me, bless me in every way. Come bless what I see, and bless what I hear, and bless what I think and say. Then I touch my heart with my hand, and say  and of the Son. Bless me, Jesus, bless my heart that I may love everyone. I touch my shoulders left and right, and of the Holy Spirit I say. Amen. O God, thank you, for all I have this day.  God's hand in mine as I bless myself, God in heaven above, and the Cross of Jesus blesses me too, the Cross of Jesus' love. (http://www.cptryon.org)

My thoughts: Many Catholics today hesitate to make the Sign of the Cross in public. They have heard that the action may be offensive to others. It may draw unnecessary attention to themselves, or even that public displays of religious beliefs are to be avoided. When we read the power and meaning behind the Sign of the Cross, we should be afraid of not making it enough. It signifies who we are as Catholics. We learn in the above passage that  the Sign of the Cross reminds us of  the cross, and of Christ who died for us; of the cross, which we must live in this world; of the cross, which will signal the end of this world, and of  the cross, which is our solidarity with other Christians. To make the Sign of the Cross is to make a profession of faith. Never be afraid to profess who you are and what you stand for.  Never march into the battle of the secular world without making the Sign of the Cross first. It is your armor, your reminder, your sign of love and devotion to God.
The Cross before me, the Cross behind me.


No comments: