Friday, July 20, 2012

Devotion for today: speak the things of God



Scripture for meditation: 1 Thessalonians 5:16-22
Rejoice always; pray without ceasing;  in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.  Do not quench the Spirit; do not despise prophetic utterances.  But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good;  abstain from every form of evil.
We continue with St. Ambrose’s homily from yesterday: Meditate, then, at all times on the things of God, and speak the things of God, when you sit in your house. By house we can understand the Church, or the secret place within us, so that we are to speak within ourselves. Speak with prudence, so as to avoid falling into sin, as by excess of talking. When you sit in your house, speak to yourself as if you were a judge. When you walk along the way, speak, so as never to be idle. You speak along the way if you speak in Christ, for Christ is the way. When you walk along the way, speak to yourself, speak to Christ. Hear him say to you: I desire that in every place men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarrelling. When you lie down, speak so that the sleep of death may not steal upon you. Listen and learn how you are to speak as you lie down; I will not give sleep to my eyes or slumber to my eyelids until I find a place for the Lord, a dwelling place for the God of Jacob. When you get up or rise again, speak of Christ, so as to fulfill what you are commanded. Listen and learn how Christ is to awaken you from sleep. Your soul says: I hear my brother knocking at the door. Then Christ says to you: Open the door to me, my sister, my spouse. Listen and learn how you are to awaken Christ. Your soul says: I charge you, daughters of Jerusalem, awaken or reawaken the love of my heart. Christ is that love. (From the Explanations of the Psalms by St. Ambrose, bishop)

Prayer: Psalm 40:9-11
 I have proclaimed glad tidings of righteousness in the great congregation;
Behold, I will not restrain my lips,
O Lord, You know.
 I have not hidden Your righteousness within my heart;
I have spoken of Your faithfulness and Your salvation;
I have not concealed Your lovingkindness and Your truth from the great congregation.
You, O Lord, will not withhold Your compassion from me;
Your lovingkindness and Your truth will continually preserve me.

My thoughts: St. Ambrose reminds us today that we are to approach God by “lifting holy hands without anger or quarrelling.” Our constant conversation with God must be accompanied by love of neighbor; that was the second great commandment  Jesus added to the first. Our constant prayer must be to know God and allow God to live in us. God is love, and if we are inviting God to live in us, then we are inviting love to be our everlasting gift to the world. If we are not bringing the love which is Christ into the world by our every thought, word and deed, then we are doing a lot of talking to God, and very little listening. St. Ambrose tells us, “Listen and learn how you are to awaken Christ.” Let God lead you, and you will become the very instrument of His love and peace so necessary to those people He places in your life today. Take the time today to be quiet, and listen, and learn.

  



No comments: