Thursday, September 13, 2012

Devotion for today: give it to Adam, he’ll eat anything


Scripture for meditation: Genesis 3:4-6
The serpent said to the woman, “You surely will not die! For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate.

Scripture for reflection: John 6:35
 Jesus said, “I am the bread of life; he who comes to me shall not hunger, and he who believes in me shall never thirst.”

Jeff Cavins tells us: As the saying goes, the grass is always greener on the other side, but is this so? How often do we think that we’ll be satisfied with a different car, a new house, a better job, or a fitter body? How often do we convince ourselves that the music will be better at that church, the sermons more exciting when preached by that pastor, or our spiritual hunger will be satisfied by that group, church, movement, book, tape, prophet, leader, speaker, or televangelist? How often has God provided sustenance for us and we have responded by complaining? How often has God provided a miracle for us and we have responded by whining? “I’m not being fed here, God, can’t you see? Why can’t you feed me what I want to eat?” The serpent succeeded in tempting the father and mother of mankind. The key to his strategy was to promise Eve that, by eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, she would have a better life, she would know more, and she would be “like God, knowing good and evil.” It didn’t seem to be that big of a deal. Seeing that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to look at, she ate from the tree, and then “gave also to her husband with her, and he ate.” Adam and Eve had the perfect cuisine – and it still wasn’t enough…. I [Jeff Cavins] simply need to tell it like it is, and to proclaim the awesome food we have as Catholics. Do you have a spiritual eating disorder? Don’t lose heart! Jesus said, “I am the bread of life; he who comes to me shall not hunger, and he who believes in me shall never thirst” (John 6:35). The table is set, the meal is prepared, and the Lamb is waiting. (“I’m Not Being Fed!” Discovering the Food that Satisfies the Soul, Ascension Press, 2005)

Prayer: Prayer to Jesus for the Grace to Receive Him Frequently.
 O Jesus, Savior of my soul, I beseech Thee to grant me an ever-increasing desire to receive Thee in Holy Communion. Let each reception of Thee fill my heart with a fervent desire to receive Thee again. Let me so desire Thee that I may never forget Thee.
From one Communion to another, I ask that Thou nourish my soul with an ardent longing to receive Thee. This desire will help my soul to cooperate with Thee, thus preparing it to receive Thee more worthily.
Grant, O most loving Jesus that I may learn to appreciate the benefits of frequent Holy Communion for time and eternity.
O Sacrament most holy, O Sacrament divine,
All praise and all thanksgiving
Be every moment Thine!

My thoughts: I have noticed that many people today are dissatisfied and unhappy, although they have successful careers, beautiful homes and good families. What is it that they want? What is it that any of us really wants? I submit that the one gift we would all love to have is true inner peace, the sustaining peace that accompanies us to bed at night and awakens with us in the morning. How do we get that peace? St. Augustine tells us that our souls are restless until they rest in God. Jeff Cavins tells us that only one food can fulfill our restless souls, and that food is found in the Eucharist. Christ gave us Himself because we are made in the image and likeness of God. Only one source of spiritual nourishment can help us to realize the awesomeness of that statement. If we allow ourselves to be picky eaters, and feed on the only food provided by God Himself for our spiritual well being, we will never need to be restless again. Don’t be like Adam (or Mikey) and eat anything. Fill yourself with the true bread of life, and have a peace-filled day!

No comments: