Saturday, October 6, 2012

Devotion for today: It is your special privilege to take Christ’s part


Scripture for meditation: Philippians 1:27-30
Conduct yourselves, then, in a way worthy of the gospel of Christ. If you do, whether I come and see you myself, or hear about your behavior from a distance, it will be clear that you are standing firm in unity of spirit and exerting yourselves with one accord for the faith of the gospel. Do not be intimidated by your opponents in any situation. Their opposition foreshadows downfall for them, but salvation for you. All this is as God intends, for it is your special privilege to take Christ’s part, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for Him.

Prayer: Jesus, You suffered for love of me,
teach me to suffer for love of you,
for life is a journey in Your footprints,
 a special privilege to take Your part.

Not my will but Yours be done
no matter what the cost. Standing firm in my Catholic faith,
keep me obedient to Church teachings,
which are truths inspired by the Holy Spirit
 imparted in Love for man’s salvation.

By the power of Your Eucharistic Love,
Make me courageous, not afraid.
Instill Your words into my heart
“Fear is useless,
what is needed
 is trust.”

For my cross,
You, Yourself carry, Jesus,
With Your very own strength,
Strength given to us in abundance
In this Blessed Sacrament.

As you give Yourself completely to me,
I give myself completely to You.
Through the Immaculate Heart of Mary
I surrender to You my mind,
My body, my heart, my will and my liberty,
For true freedom
Is loving You without reservation.
(Come to Me in the Blessed Sacrament, Fr. Vincent Martin Lucia, Apostolate for Perpetual Adoration, Mt. Clemens, Michigan, 48046)
My thoughts: In God’s plan for life, there is no room for a culture of death. Be brave; stand up for all life affirming issues, and consider it a special privilege to take Jesus’ part in a world which mocks and scorns Him. Give yourself completely to Him, setting aside any prideful attitudes of knowing what is right more than God does, and let Him use you as He sees fit. Remember, the glory of heaven only comes to us after the pain of the Cross. Spend time this week in front of the Blessed Sacrament and recite this prayer to Jesus who is present there. Then experience true freedom.

No comments: