Thursday, January 10, 2013

Devotion for today: What do you read?

A friend of mine told me that she has resolved to watch less television and read more spiritual books. She asked me for a list of books that I felt would help her get started. I am going to post a few books I have found to be helpful to me in my spiritual journey, a few novels that I have recently read, the book I am now reading, and a few others that may hit an interest in some of you. I do ask you to send me the spiritual reading that has helped you grow in your Catholic Faith and in your relationship with God. I will do this more often in the coming Year of Faith. By the way, what a great New Year’s resolution!

Current book:  I am currently reading an excellent biography Bonhoeffer, Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy written by Eric Metaxas. Here is what the first paragraph of the inside book cover states: As Adolf Hitler and the Nazis seduced a nation, bullied a continent, and attempted to exterminate the Jews of Europe, a small number of dissidents and saboteurs worked to dismantle the Third Reich from the inside. One of these was Dietrich Bonhoeffer – a pastor and author, known as much for such spiritual classics as “The Cast of Discipleship” and “Life Together” as for his 1945 execution in a concentration camp for his part in the plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler. That should get your attention!

Some of the greatest books I have ever read: The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis, The Story of a Soul by St. Therese of Lisieux, Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales, The Confessions of St. Augustine by St. Augustine.  I tend to choose the most modern translations of these great classics, but there are a variety of translations out there.

Two Good Novels I have recently read:  The Father’s Tale by Michael O’Brien, a fascinating novel about a father’s search for his son in Russia, and what he learns about true faith, and Replenish the Earth by Philip Bulman, a very good story which takes place during the persecution of early Christians.

Short, excellent non-fiction: A Heart on Fire and Render Unto Caesar by Archbishop Charles J. Chaput, the current Archbishop of Philadelphia.  These two works give you excellent commentary on the state of the Church in today’s society.

For Lovers of History: History of the Church by Eusebius. Eusebius was one of the earliest writers of life after the resurrection of Christ. His account is nothing short of fascinating, including how the Herods both died from an attack of worms, among other things. (I know, ew).

Favorites: Consoling the Heart of Jesus and Thirty-three Days to Morning Glory by Fr. Michael Gaitley, Our Lady of Kibeho by Immaculee, Catholicism by Fr. Robert Barron, The Mass by Edward Sri, and Forming Intentional Disciples by Sherry Weddell.

This is just the beginning. I will share many more as we proceed through this year, and I sincerely pray you share your favorites with me. And now, a word about the greatest book of all: the Bible. If you would like a good guide to help you through the entire Bible, go to EWTN and go to the Audio Library. You will find “Our Father’s Plan” by Scott Hahn and Jeff Cavins. You can listen to it for free, and follow it at your own pace. These two biblical scholars will make sense out of the Old Testament and tie it into the New Testament in a clear and concise fashion. Have many good reading adventures in 2013!

No comments: