Saturday, April 20, 2013

Devotion for today: Holy Spirit: do not let my words be empty



I think one of the greatest parts of a true Holy Hour is interceding for the woes of the world. We live in the midst of many sad and hurting people; we have many societies in the world where people are abused and tortured, starved and rejected. We have so much at our fingertips, yet there are those who have nothing, absolutely nothing. In a Holy Hour, it is good to reclaim the world for God! It is a good time to pray for the conversion of hearts and for the return to God’s laws. Spend time adoring, yes, and spend time interceding for those who have lost all hope. We need hope to be returned to the world. We can do it by our Holy Hours. They are our secret attack on the evils of the world!!!
Today we continue with part 4 of the Holy Hour Prayers offered by Fr. Barbaric, O.F.M. in his book, “Pray With the Heart!” published by Franciscan University Press, 1988.

4. Lord Jesus, let every word I say during this hour of adoration be in Your Spirit! Do not let them be empty words! Inspire me to understand Your word which You pronounced to draw me completely to You! You said You were the bread for our soul, for our life, for every hunger, but first and foremost for the hunger of love. Jesus, feed my soul, for I am adoring You!
So that we can put faith in you,” they asked Him, “what sign are you going to perform for us to see? What is the work you do? Our ancestors had manna to eat in the desert; according to Scripture, ‘He gave them bread from the heavens to eat.’”
Jesus said to them: “I solemnly assure you. It was not Moses who gave you bread from the heavens; it is my Father who gives you the real heavenly bread. God’s bread comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” “Sir, give us this bread always,” they besought him. Jesus explained to them: “I myself am the bread of life. No one who comes to me shall ever be hungry; no one who believes in me shall ever thirst.” (John 6:30-35)
Attracted by Your word which applies to me as well, I am here, Jesus, beseeching You: Give me to eat, give me to drink! I am hungry and thirsty. Nothing else can appease my hunger or my thirst, for everything is transient, everything is deficient. Thank You for being an answer to my hunger and thirst! (Remain in silence)
Jesus, here I am kneeling in the name of all those who are hungry and thirsty for truth, justice, love, reconciliation. I am kneeling in the name of all the children who are hungry for the motherly bread of love and of their parents’ home. I am kneeling in the name of all the thirsty who, on the roads of this life, are seeking the drinks which make drunk and lead to death, not to life. O, Bread of Eternal Life, I am kneeling before You in the name of all who are quarreling and waging wars, who hate or persecute each other, who behave jealously toward each other because of earthly bread! Jesus, reveal Yourself to them as the eternal heavenly bread! Let them find You and feel Your presence so that they will no more wander about the world, beaten up with evil and sin. Jesus, the manna of the Father for us travelers and pilgrims through the desert of this world, I also pray to You for all those who are hungry for earthly bread, who work, but do not get a pay, because the stronger and the richer exploit them.
This evening, Jesus, I am kneeling before You. Let my heart plunge into Your presence and let Your life completely absorb me so that, from now on, I may be a sweetness to all who are seeking you, that I may never again embitter life for anybody! Let me become the bread of life with You! (silence)
Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be…


No comments: