Thursday, May 16, 2013

Devotion for today: Pray the Rosary everyday!




Deuteronomy 31:8: It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”

At Guadalupe….As for the sign for the bishop, Mary told Juan Diego to go to the top of the mountain and pick some flowers. He went up to the hill which was dry and barren — a place for cactus — and found roses like those grown in Castille, but foreign to Mexico. He gathered them in his tilma, a garment like a poncho. He brought them to Mary who arranged them and said to take them to the bishop. http://catholiceducation.org/articles/stories_of_faith_and_character/cs0092.html

The Second Apparition at Fatima: 13 June 1917
About fifty people turned up at the Cova da Iria on June 13, as the three children assembled near the Holmoak tree where the Lady had appeared. The children then saw a flash of light followed immediately by the apparition of Mary, as she spoke to Lucia: "I want you to come on the 13th of next month, to pray the Rosary every day, and to learn to read. Later, I will tell you what I want."

Today we see Mary return to Jacinta, Francisco and Lucia, reminding them to pray the rosary every day! If we haven’t gotten the message by now, I don’t know what else Mary can do to remind us of the power of this prayer. The rosary, all 15 decades, encapsulates the entire life of Jesus for our meditation. When prayed in its entirety, we travel with Jesus, through Mary, from the announcement of Mary’s motherhood until her Coronation. To pray the rosary every day is to use the most powerful weapon on earth to fight evil in our families and in our world


Lucia asked Mary to take them to heaven and was reassured in this way: "I will take Jacinta and Francisco shortly; but you will stay here for some time to come. Jesus wants to use you to make me known and loved. He wishes to establish the devotion to my Immaculate Heart throughout the world. I promise salvation to whoever embraces it; these souls will be dear to God, like flowers put by me to adorn his throne." This last sentence is found in a letter written in 1927 by Sr. Lucia to her confessor.

Mary uses flowers and the reference to flowers in several other apparitions. She used them as the proof of her appearance to Juan Diego at Guadalupe; she referred to the people gathered at Kibeho as flowers, and she is referred to in the Old Testament in this way: "I am a rose of Sharon, a lily of the valley."
(Canticles 2: 1) My blossoms bear fruit fair and rich." (Sirach 24: 13-17). The beauty of Mary is that she loves us so much. She constantly intercedes for us. She presents us to God when we die if we follow the devotion to her Immaculate Heart, and she does it in such a lovely way, that only the image of flowers can capture the splendor of this.

Lucia was sad at the first part of this reply, saying: "Am I to stay here alone?" Mary replied: "No, my daughter. Are you suffering a great deal? Don't lose heart. I will never forsake you. My Immaculate Heart will be your refuge and the way that will lead you to God."  http://www.theotokos.org.uk/pages/approved/appariti/fatima.html#anchor123645

Again, as we saw in yesterday’s apparition, Mary’s words parallel those of God the Father and God the Son. She is never seeking to draw attention to herself, but only to God. Here she reminds us all that even when we are asked to suffer, she will help us through it. We can always participate in the act of redemptive suffering knowing we will never be alone in doing it. Do not be afraid to suffer and offer it up for the reparation of sin.

O holy Mother of the Children of God! When shall I rest in thy immortal arms? Our souls should be wholly consumed by this desire. But I will restrain myself and peacefully await the hour which the divine Savior has destined for me, to overwhelm me with that bliss. In the meantime, let me have only one desire, to please Him by doing His holy will in all things. What God wishes from us, be done; we are His for time and eternity. Amen. (The Prayer Book, Catholic Press, Chicago, Illinois, 1958)


No comments: