Monday, July 1, 2013

Devotion for today: Let’s be brave!

Revelation 3:14-22:“And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write, ‘These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.  So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked—  I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.  As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne. “He, who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”’”

I think it is easy to get scared today. We make a comment that we think is based on truth, and we are quickly attacked for being insensitive or incorrect. We find people afraid to discuss religion with us for fear they may seem too religious! Around the world, societies are headed toward freedom of worship, which means you can practice your religion all you want to behind closed church doors, but don’t try to bring your beliefs into the workplace or schools or even into your decision making if those beliefs don’t jive with whatever the current political climate is for now. It is easy to become afraid. It is even easier to give in and act as neutral as everyone else.  God tells us how He feels about the neutral. He vomits them out of His mouth.

It has always been difficult to follow God, especially when societies in various times in history were wealthy. Notice in our Bible passage that the wealth of the people is specifically given as the reason for their demise. When we are in a pitiable state, we turn to God for help, having nowhere else to go. When we are thriving and “have it all” we tend to turn to money and all it can buy for pleasure and happiness. When we have many things, we fear losing them.  We become afraid. What if I make it known I am a devout Catholic and then I apply for a job at a university and they won’t hire me because of my conservative stand and beliefs? All I worked for is gone. What if I apply to a pharmaceutical company and get the job and then discover they make abortion inducing drugs? Do I have to quit? I mean, I am not making them! What if I own a very large company and must supply my employees with health insurance I feel is wrong in its coverage. I cannot go out of business, can I? This, my friends, is the world we live in.

 It was the same in the days of the Old Testament and in Jesus’ time. If Daniel and his friends refused to worship the king, they would be killed. If others refused to eat meat which had been offered to idols, they would be killed. If Lutherans in Hitler’s Germany did not support the Church Hitler restructured, they were sent to concentration camps and many died.  We cannot buy into the belief that the world today is worse than ever. It simply is morally worse than any of us can remember. So what to do?

 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. God gives us the answer so clearly and sweetly. Just listen to Me, He says. I am asking you to let Me into your heart. I am asking you to choose Me, so that you may overcome those who oppress you.


See? We have to choose God. We have to choose to stand firm in our belief. We will die, all of us. We do not take our possessions or public recognition with us. We simply take the little report card of our lives, and stand before God with it outstretched for Him to see. If we have lived for man and his crazy ways, we will be poor in the eyes of God, but if we have lived for God and stood firmly for Him  here on earth, we will have been refined in the fire and will appear before God rich in splendor! The world is a tough place today for Catholics, but do not become weak in the face of adversity. Be tough, be bold, be brave and be true to your faith, and remember, “To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne.” 

No comments: