Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Devotion for today: Blessed are they in whom Jesus will reign eternally

In reading the book  “Homilies in Praise of the Blessed Virgin Mary” ( Cistercian Publications, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 1993) which is a collection of talks given by St. Bernard of Clairvaux, the saint we discussed yesterday, I came across this beautiful passage which I share with you today. I think it is one of the most passionate and sincere calls to Jesus I have ever read. May it serve you well in your meditation today.

“Who is there among us who, in keeping with the etymology of the name Jacob, supplants* the devil from his heart* and struggles* with his vices and evil desires to prevent sin from holding sway in the body of his death* and to let Jesus reign there now by his grace and for eternity by his glory.

Blessed are they in whom Jesus will reign eternally*, for they will reign with him and of his kingdom there will be no end*. Oh how glorious is that kingdom where kings have assembled, have come together  to praise and glorify him who is above all*, King of kings and Lord of lords*, in the brilliant contemplation of whom the righteous shine as the sun* in the kingdom of their Father.

Oh, if only Jesus would remember me, a sinner, when he shows favor to his people*, when he comes into his kingdom*. Oh, if on that day when he delivers his kingdom to God the Father* he would but deign to visit me in his salvation that I might be admitted to the prosperity of his chosen ones and rejoice in the gladness of his nation that even I might praise him with his heritage*.

Come, meanwhile, Lord Jesus*, thrust out all causes of sin from your kingdom, my soul,  that you may reign there as you should. Avarice comes and claims a throne within me; vainglory craves to hold sway in me; pride wants to lord it over me. Sensuality cries, ‘I will rule’; ambition and detraction, envy and anger fight over me within me. Yet I, as far as I can, put up a fight. I push them back with all my might. I call out to my Lord Jesus. I defend myself for his sake, for I know that I am his by right. I hold him as my God, I hold him as my Lord, and I declare, ‘I have no other king than Jesus’.

Come, then, Lord, scatter them by your power, and you shall reign over me, for you are my King and my God who order deliverance for Jacob*.

 The Bible passages below accompany the passage from St. Bernard’s which I share in this meditation and serve as a great reference to contemplate the deep meaning of this passage. They are given in the order in which you see the asterisks.

Genesis 27: 36:  Esau said, “Is he not rightly named Jacob? For he has supplanted me these two times.

Luke 8:12: The ones on the path are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved.

Genesis 32:24: Jacob was left alone; and a man wrestled with him until daybreak.

Galatians 5:24: And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Luke 1:33: He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.

Revelation 20:6:  Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. Over these the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and they will reign with him a thousand years.

Ephesians 4:6: one God and Father of all, who is above all and through all and in all.

1 Timothy 6:15: which he will bring about at the right time—he who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords.

Matthew 13:43:  Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Let anyone with ears listen!

Psalm 106:4: Remember me, O Lord, when you show favor to your people;
    help me when you deliver them;

Luke 23:42: Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into[a] your kingdom.”

1 Corinthians 15:24: Then comes the end, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father, after he has destroyed every ruler and every authority and power.

Psalm 106:4-5: Remember me, O Lord, when you show favor to your people;  help me when you deliver them;  that I may see the prosperity of your chosen ones,  that I may rejoice in the gladness of your nation, that I may glory in your heritage.

Revelation 22:20: The one who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.”
Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!

Psalm 44:4: You are my King and my God;  you command victories for Jacob.


No comments: