Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Devotion for today: Come Holy Spirit

As we continue to prepare our hearts for the coming of the Messiah, it is time to pray to the Holy Spirit.

Scripture for meditation:  1Corinthians 2:11-12, 14, 3:16-17
No one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. The Spirit we have received is not the world’s spirit, but God’s Spirit, helping us to realize the gifts He has given us. The natural man does not accept what is taught by the Spirit of God. Are you not aware that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?

Christ tells us: John 14:16-17
“I will ask the Father, and He will send you another Paraclete – to be with you always: the Spirit of truth, Whom the world cannot accept, since it neither sees Him nor recognizes Him; but you can recognize Him because He remains with you and will be in you.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church explains: Now God’s Spirit, Who reveals God, makes known to us Christ, His Word, His living Utterance, but the Spirit does not speak of Himself. The Spirit who “has spoken through the prophets” makes us hear the Father’s Word, but we do not hear the Spirit Himself. We know Him only in the movement by which He reveals the Word to us and disposes us to welcome Him in faith. From the beginning to the end of time, whenever God sends His Son, He always sends His Spirit: their mission is conjoined and inseparable. (737, 743)

Prayer for the Spirit by Henri Nouwen:
Dear Lord, listen to my prayer. You promised Your disciples that You would not leave them alone but would send the Holy Spirit to guide them and lead them to the Full Truth. I feel like I am groping in the dark. I have received much from You, and still it is hard for me simply to be quiet and present in Your presence. My mind is so chaotic, so full of dispersed ideas, plans, memories and fantasies. I want to be with You and You alone, concentrate on Your Word, listen to Your voice, and look at You as You reveal Yourself to Your friends. But even with the best intentions I wander off to less important things and discover that my heart is drawn to my own little worthless treasures. I cannot pray without the power from on high, the power of Your Spirit. Send your Spirit, Lord, so that your Spirit can pray in me, can say “Lord Jesus,” and then call out “Abba Father.” I am waiting, Lord, I am expecting, I am hoping. Do not leave me without Your Spirit. Give me your unifying and consoling Spirit. Amen. (Henri Nouwen, from Jesus a Gospel, as read in A Maryknoll Book of Inspiration, Orbis Books, Maryknoll, New York, 2010.)

My thoughts: In preparing for Christmas Day, we can better prepare our hearts by inviting the Holy Spirit to renew in us a lively and sincere faith.  We learn from today’s readings that we are temples of the Holy Spirit, that He dwells in us, and that He will reveal to us all the gifts God has placed in us, if we but ask. The Catechism reminds us that when Christ has or will come, He is always accompanied by the Holy Spirit. That is why Henri Nouwen prays so beautifully to the Holy Spirit, the power behind the prayer, the force behind our pure motives, and the truth behind our words. It is no wonder that the world cannot understand Him!

Our prayer to God: Henri Nouwen has provided us today with yet another beautiful prayer to add to our collection this week.  If possible, let us take time to stop in a church, and in the presence of God in the tabernacle, pray this request for help in preparing for the coming of Christ.

Today is the feast of St. Ambrose, whose example and preaching helped bring St. Augustine to the faith!
St. Ambrose, pray for us and for all who are seeking to find the true God.

Don’t forget the Christmas Novena! Fifteen times today for your special intention!
Christmas Novena

Hail, and blessed be the hour and moment
At which the Son of God was born
Of a most pure Virgin
At a stable at midnight in Bethlehem
In the piercing cold
At that hour vouchsafe, I beseech Thee,
To hear my prayers and grant my desires
(mention request here). 
Through Jesus Christ and His most Blessed Mother.


No comments: