Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Devotion for today: Pray a new prayer unto the Lord

Today we find a way to add new life to our prayer time
Scripture for today: Isaiah 29:13
The Lord said: … this people draws near with words only and honors me with their lips alone, though their hearts are far from me; and their reverence for me has become routine observance of the precepts of me.

Christ reminds us: John 14:12-14
“I solemnly assure you, the man who has faith in me will do the works I do, and greater far than these. Why? Because I go to the Father, and whatever you ask in my name I will do, so as to glorify the Father in the Son. Anything you ask me, in My Name, I will do.”

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta states:
 "Try to feel the need for prayer often during the day and take the trouble to pray. Prayer makes the heart large enough until it can contain God’s gift of Himself. Ask and seek, and your heart will grow big enough to receive Him and keep Him as your own. The following are prayers that we say every day from our prayer book. I hope they may be helpful if you do not know any prayers, or would like to know more":
 Let us all become a true and fruitful branch on the vine Jesus, by accepting Him in our lives as it pleases Him to come: as the Truth – to be told; as the life – to be lived; as the light – to be lighted; as the love – to be loved; as the Way – to be walked; as the Joy – to be given; as the Peace – to be spread; as the Sacrifice – to be offered – in our families and within our neighborhood.

Deliver me, O Jesus, from the desire of being loved, from the desire of being extolled, from the desire of being honored, from the desire of being praised, from the desire of being preferred, from the desire of being consulted, from the desire of being approved, from the desire of being popular, from the fear of being humiliated, from the fear of being despised, from the fear of suffering rebukes, from the fear of being calumniated, from the fear of being forgotten, from the fear of being wronged, from the fear of being ridiculed, from the fear of being suspected. (Mother Teresa: A Simple Path, Ballentine Books, compiled by Lucinda Vardey, 1995)

My thoughts:  Isaiah warns us about becoming too routine in our prayer life. It leaves our conversation with God stale and lifeless. Jesus reminds us that prayer is the key to unity with Him, but we must also unite with Him in good works. What better example do we have than Mother Teresa of Calcutta! I hope the two prayers she shares with us today bring a new spark of life into your private moments with God.

Our prayer to God: Let us add these two prayers to our daily routines for Advent, thus opening our hearts to prayer and action, and eliminating the fears which come from pride.

Remember the Christmas Novena – 15 times today!
Christmas Novena

Hail, and blessed be the hour and moment
At which the Son of God was born
Of a most pure Virgin
At a stable at midnight in Bethlehem
In the piercing cold
At that hour vouchsafe, I beseech Thee,
To hear my prayers and grant my desires
(mention request here). 
Through Jesus Christ and His most Blessed Mother.


Read more:
http://www.ewtn.com/Devotionals/novena/christmas.htm#ixzz1f7YZnIon
Today is the feast of St. Nicholas – St. Nicholas, pray for us.

No comments: