Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Devotion for today: Examination of the state of our soul toward God

Today we will begin to take our consciences apart, by looking at our attitude toward God.
Scriptures for Meditation:1) Luke 1: 46-47; 2) 1 Samuel 2:1, 3) Habakkuk 3:18 (song of Hannah), 4) Isaiah 61:10, 5) Deuteronomy 32:3 (song of Moses)
1)      My Being proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit finds joy in God my savior
2)      My heart exults in Yahweh, in my God is my strength lifted up, my mouth derides my foes, for I rejoice in your deliverance.
3)      But I shall rejoice in Yahweh, I shall rejoice in God my savior.
4)      I exult for joy in Yahweh, my soul rejoices in my God.
5)      For I shall proclaim the name of Yahweh, Oh tell the greatness of our God.  (www.users.cloud9.net)
Christ tells us: Matthew: 23:39
I tell you, you will not see me from this time on until you declare, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!’”

Continuing with St. Francis de Sales in “An Introduction to the Devout Life”:  How does your heart stand with regard to mortal sin? Have you a fixed resolution never to yield to it under any circumstances whatever…. In this resolution lies the foundation of the spiritual life. 1) What is the state of your heart with regard to God’s commandments? Do you find them easy, light and pleasant? 2) What is the state of your heart with regard to venial sins? You cannot altogether avoid them, but are there any to which you are especially inclined, or in which you take delight or even love? 3) What is the state of your heart toward spiritual exercises? Do you value and love…hearing the word of God and meditating on it, longing after God, confession, spiritual direction, preparation for Communion and Communion itself, the restraint of your passions? 4) What is the state of your heart towards God Himself? Does it delight in remembering Him? Do you feel within your heart a readiness to love Him, and a desire to rejoice in that love? Does your heart seek time to rest in the sweetness of God? If the remembrance of God comes upon you in the occupations of your day, does it find room in your heart? Does your heart turn gladly towards this remembrance? 7) How is your heart toward Jesus Christ, both God and man? Do you delight in being near Him? Holy souls find their delight in Jesus Christ, and are kindled with an ardent love towards Him.

Prayer: Psalm 71: 1-2, 5, 8
In you, O Lord, I take refuge; let me never be put to shame.
In your justice rescue me, and deliver me; Incline your ear to me, and save me.
For you are my hope, O Lord, my trust, O God, from my youth.
My mouth shall be filled with your praise, with your glory day by day.

My thoughts: St. Francis de Sales reminds us that the first priority in our lives is our relationship with God. If we do not find ourselves seeking to know, love and serve Him in this world, we are not going to be with Him in the next. The above questions force us to take inventory and make some resolutions for our spiritual growth in the New Year. May we be able to add our voices to the ones in the scriptures who, from the beginning of time, sang the glories of God.

Our prayer to God:  To do this examination well, place yourself in the presence of God by finding a quiet place and time of day; ask the Holy Spirit for help in being honest and contrite; give God’s grace the credit for all the areas where you find you are strong, and never be disheartened or grow cold through discouragement, but find the courage to correct your faults, ask for grace and forgiveness, and begin anew. Do this in a calm and quiet manner. (Recommendations of St. Francis de Sales)



No comments: