Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Devotion for today: The mercy of God is calling us to His service

Today we remember the resolutions we have already made to God, and the promises He has made to us.
Scripture for meditation: Revelation 21: 6-7: “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To anyone who thirsts, I will give to drink without cost from the spring of life-giving water. He who wins the victory shall inherit these gifts: I will be his God and he shall be my son.”
Christ tells us in the parable of the silver pieces: Matthew 25:21: “His master said to him, ‘Well done! You are an industrious and reliable servant. Since you were dependable in a small matter, I will put you in charge of larger affairs. Come; share your master’s joy!
Prayer: Psalm 91: 14-16: Because he clings to Me, I will deliver him; I will set him on high because he acknowledges my name. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in distress; I will deliver him and glorify him; with length of days I will gratify him and will show him my salvation.
St. Francis de Sales, in An Introduction to the Devout Life leads us into considering what we already promised God: Consider the points of your resolution. The first is to forsake, reject, detest, and forever renounce all mortal sin; secondly, to dedicate your soul, heart, and body…to the service and love of God. And thirdly, that if you fall into sin, you should speedily rise again with the help of His grace. Now, are not these good, just, worthy and noble resolutions? Think well within your soul how holy, reasonable and excellent such resolutions are…. Is it not a blessing to have a heart that holds conversations with God in prayer, to take pleasure in seeking to love Him, to have mastered and quieted many passions which disturbed you….Oh how great are these mercies! Weigh them in the scales of the Sanctuary – for it is the Lord who has done all this for you! After these reflections, which will abundantly supply you with devout affections, you should conclude with a prayer of thanksgiving and a fervent prayer to profit from the above by remaining in humility and confidence in God….
My thoughts: Taking apart our consciences is not a painful task if we first remind ourselves of our accomplishments. St. Francis de Sales reminds us of the commitments we have already made to God by dedicating ourselves to Him and seeking to avoid sin, and in asking pardon if we fail. We all do this, as witnessed by the fact that we all seek a short devotional time with God each day! So let us pat ourselves on the back, in humility and acknowledgement that any progress we have made this year is because of God’s grace, and find great joy and comfort in God’s promises to those of us who have decided to follow Him and Him alone. Tomorrow we will begin a little deeper examination of where we stand with God.
Our prayer to God:  Taking stock of ourselves requires pen and paper, or keyboard and screen. Let us take the time to really take inventory on the spiritual aspects of our lives which we have worked on in 2011, and list the positive results we see in ourselves. Then let us give thanks to God for the fact that He loves us so much to call us to perfection, so that He can fulfill the dream He had for us when He placed us in our mother’s wombs. Dear God, my heart is filled with joy as I reflect on the past year, and see how much you love me, that you would call me to a greater life of holiness. Although it is hard to admit my failings and weaknesses, I do so willingly in order to become all that I can be, so that you can use me for “higher affairs” and bring more people to the peaceful, loving life that awaits them in you. Thank you for loving me so much. May I always be faithful to the resolutions I am about to make, and if I fail, may I never stop seeking your forgiveness and grace. Amen

No comments: