Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Beauty of Creation Bears Witness to God

Question the beauty of the earth,
the beauty of the sea,
the beauty of the wide air around you,
the beauty of the sky;

question the order of the stars,
the sun, whose brightness lights the day,
the moon whose splendor softens the gloom of night;

question the living creatures that move in the water,
that roam upon the earth, that fly through the air;
the spirit that lies hidden,
the matter that is manifest;
the visible things that are ruled,
the invisible that rules them;
question all these.

They will answer you:
"Behold and see, we are beautiful."

Their beauty is their confession of God.

Who made these beautiful changing things,
if not one who is beautiful and changeth not?
                                            St. Francis of Assisi

1 comment:

Gene Mariani said...

Sandy:

I just read your post for 10/22/11. What a wonderful way to begin my day. I've used this as my meditation this morning. St. Francis is one of my favorite saints (if such can be). I came in a while ago from a little drive this morning that took me through some wooded areas. The changing colors of the autumn leaves reflect the beauty that God has created for all of us to enjoy.... if only we open our eyes to appreciate His works.

Gene