Friday, October 21, 2011

on a mission

Scripture for meditation: James 2:14-17
My brothers, what good is it to profess faith without practicing it? Such faith has no power to save one, has it? If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and no food for the day, and you say to them, "Good-bye and good luck! Keep warm and well fed," but do not meet their bodily needs, what good is that? So it is with the faith that does nothing in practice. It is thoroughly lifeless.

Christ tells us: Matthew 28:18-20
Jesus came forward and addressed them in these words: "Full authority has been given me, both in heaven and on earth; go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations. Baptize them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Teach them to carry out everything I have commanded you. And know that I am with you always, until the end of the world!"

Pope Leo the Great instructs us:
Let us now extend to the poor and those afflicted in different ways a more open-handed generosity, so that God may be thanked through many voices and the relief of the needy supported by our fasting. No act of devotion on the part of the faithful gives God more pleasure than that which is lavished on His poor. Where He finds charity with its loving concern, there He recognizes the reflection of His own fatherly care. In these acts of giving, do not fear a lack of means. A generous spirit is itself great wealth. There can be no shortage of material for generosity where it is Christ who feeds and Christ who is fed.

Prayer: Prayer for the Poor by Mother Teresa
Who is Jesus to me?Jesus is the Word made Flesh.
Jesus is the Bread of Life. Jesus is the Victim offered for our sins on the Cross.
Jesus is the Sacrifice at Holy Mass for the sins of the world and mine.
Jesus is the Word - to be spoken. Jesus is the Truth - to be told.
Jesus is the Way - to be walked. Jesus is the Light - to be lit.
Jesus is the Life - to be loved. Jesus is the Joy - to be shared.
Jesus is the Sacrifice - to be given. Jesus is the Bread of Life - to be eaten.
Jesus is the Hungry - to be fed. Jesus is the Thirsty - to be satiated.
Jesus is the Naked - to be clothed. Jesus is the Homeless - to be taken in.
Jesus is the Sick - to be healed. Jesus is the Lonely - to be loved.
Jesus is the Unwanted - to be wanted. Jesus is the Leper - to wash his wounds.
Jesus is the Beggar - to give him a smile. Jesus is the Drunkard - to listen to him.
Jesus is the Little One - to embrace him. Jesus is the Dumb - to speak to him.
Jesus is the Crippled - to walk with him. Jesus is the Drug Addict - to befriend him.
Jesus is the Prostitute - to remove from danger and befriend her. Jesus is the Prisoner - to be visited.
Jesus is the Old - to be served.
To me Jesus is my God, Jesus is my Spouse,
Jesus is my Life, Jesus is my only Love, Jesus is my All in All,
Jesus is my Everything.

My thoughts:  For the last few days, I have centered our devotion on being the hands and voices of God, first by being called to be His disciples, then called to develop a giving heart, and today being called to take care of the poor by proclaiming the Good News of Jesus and by giving to all our brothers and sisters without fear of losing what we have. Sunday is World Mission Sunday, a time for the entire Church to pray and sacrifice for all those in the world who do not know the love of Christ, for all the missionaries who bring this good news to them, for an abundance of generosity so that the poor may be cared for, and for the strength to answer the call to be a missionary in our own lives. The Holy Father asks every parish, in every diocese, in every country of the world to take up a collection for the world-wide mission work of the Church. We are asked to dedicate ourselves to the mission work of the Church, through prayer and sacrifice, word and witness.  May we all be, through the example of our own lives, living witnesses to the generosity and love of Christ.

Your prayer to God: Dear God, I have been so blessed with so many of your gifts.  I am offering myself to you today to use as your will. Help me to bring your mercy and love to everyone I meet.  Help me to open my heart to those in need, both in my immediate life, and those in the world I will never meet. Let me always keep a love for the poor in my heart, and dedicate my life to relieving the suffering of others. I ask this in Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments: