Thursday, October 20, 2011

Devotion for today: have a heart

Scripture for today: 1Peter 4:8-11
Above all, let your love for one another be constant, for love covers a multitude of sins. Be mutually hospitable without complaining. As generous distributors of God's manifold grace, put your gifts at the service of one another, each in the measure he has received. The one who speaks is to deliver God's message. The one who serves is to do it with the strength provided by God. Thus, in all of you, God is to be glorified through Jesus Christ; to Him be glory and dominion throughout the ages. Amen.

Christ tells us: Matthew 6:1-4
Be on guard against  performing religious acts for people to see. Otherwise expect no recompense from your heavenly Father. When you give alms, for example, do not blow a horn before you in synagogues and streets like hypocrites looking for applause. You can be sure of this much, they are already repaid. In giving alms, you are not to let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. Keep your deeds of mercy secret, and your Father who sees in secret will repay you.

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen instructs us: Footprints in a Darkened Forest
Once I no longer regard myself as a superman, who refuses to share the struggle of others, then when others are weak, I am weak; when they are poor, I am poor; when they are tearful, my cheeks are damp. Then I see not that I am loved because God loves everybody; but, rather that, if God loves me, as miserable as I am, then He must love everybody.  Only when I am as weak and helpless as my neighbor can I help him. Then there is no spirit of judgment, no sense of superiority, no superciliousness, no looking down one's nose at others. I am his companion in repentance. I too am waiting for grace, just as he did.
From the Angel's Blackboard: The Best of Fulton J. Sheen; Ligouri Press, 1995)

Prayer: Prayer of Saint Faustina
O my Jesus, I know that a person's greatness is evidenced by his deeds and not by his words or feelings. It is the works that have come from us that will speak about us. My Jesus, do not allow me to daydream, but give me the courage and strength to fulfill Your holy will. Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska, 663.(Marians of the Immaculate Conception, 1987).

My thoughts: Our meditation today makes it clear that it is not a question of whether or not we should give to those in need; it is a matter of how and why. The world needs our care and love. It needs to hear the word of God, yet we can never do this for our vainglory.  It must always be to spread the love and word of God.  Archbishop Fulton Sheen reminds us of how humble we must be when we help our neighbor, and Saint Faustina helps us to pray past passivity: don't dream about helping the poor; just do it!

Your prayer to God: It is time for us to ask God whom He wants us to serve. It may not be as fulfilling or noticeable as ministries we have chosen for ourselves, but the merit comes from doing God's will, not ours. Ask Him today to open your eyes to those in need...those right in front of you.

No comments: