Saturday, November 5, 2011

Devotion for Saturday/Sunday: autumnal equinox

Autumnal Equinox

I am 97.

The easy chair has taken over my "walk-ability."
Silence is the only sound I hear apart from the friendly inquiry of a visitor who asks,
"What do you do all day long?"
My response today is:

Today, after my morning greeting to God,
I watched nature's herculean drama played out on its open tree-staged arena.
The tree leaves caught the unseen forces of a strong winter air current
 in an encounter with the sluggish hot current of summer air.
A battle ensued.

I could not see the air currents, but the tree leaves danced,
tossed and pivoted in the powerful presence
which bore the color-scripted scars of yellow, red and brown
 in testimony of the battle's intensity.
Meteorologists called this violent activity
a storm.

It absorbed my attention for three full hours.
I had become a part of this drama in which I experienced great delight.
So, while being caught up in a great burst of joy, I witnessed summer's defeat and autumn's triumph.

With it came the realization that movement brings change
and change carries us into the future.

That is what I did today.
Now it is almost tomorrow. 
                                                                                                      
Sister Lucille Walsh, O.S.F

This beautiful reflection was sent to me by a reader. Please do not hesitate to send me your own contributions.  sbertini@cox.net


No comments: