Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Devotion for today: this day you will be with me in paradise

Today our study takes us to the “good thief’ and his request.

Scripture for meditation: Luke 23:39-43
One of the criminals hanging in crucifixion blasphemed him; “Aren’t you the Messiah? Then save yourself and us.” But the other one rebuked him: “Have you no fear of God, seeing you are under the same sentence? We deserve it, after all. We are only paying the price for what we’ve done, but this man has done nothing wrong.” He then said, “Jesus, remember me when you enter upon your reign.” And Jesus replied, “I assure you: this day you will be with me in paradise.”

Scripture for reflection: Hebrews 4:14-16
Brothers and sisters: Since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has similarly been tested in every way, yet without sin. So let us confidently approach the throne of grace to receive mercy and to find grace for timely help.

Father Donald Haggerty teaches us to pray: The reprieve of Didymus, the good thief, stolen by mercy at that late hour, continues to astonish me, Lord, and fill me with delight. It puts to rest any fear that we are judged at the end as though standing before a prosecutor intent on proving guilt. No, you are greatly merciful and demand only sincere, honest acknowledgement of sin. We need not tremble before the kindness of your eyes. But there is more to savor. Didymus received his wonderful grace while beside you in suffering and perhaps the same is true for all of us. Help me to know how present is our mercy in any trial, that I may live with a longing to hear myself one day say the same words you spoke to Didymus. (Magnificat, Holy Week, 2012)

My thoughts: I read many commentaries on these last words of Christ, and learned from the Church greats that there are many ways to interpret this passage. “Paradise,” I learned, does not necessarily mean “heaven.” In fact, it really doesn’t since Christ did not go “to the Father” (or heaven) on Good Friday. He descended into what we would call today “purgatory” to release all the souls waiting for the gates of heaven to open. So did Didymus actually escape “hell” and end up in purgatory? It’s possible. The explanations I like the best were the ones that saw Didymus’ action on the cross as a good confession. He admitted his offense, he asked Christ to forgive him, and he did his penance. When Jesus tells him, “This day you will be with me in paradise,” He is referring to the paradise Didymus will now experience: the paradise of God’s forgiveness and mercy; not a place, but a state of bliss, one we can all experience when we do as Fr. Haggerty asks of us: give a sincere, honest acknowledgement of our sin. Then the floodgates of mercy open for us, just as the gates of heaven did on Good Friday, and we, too, can experience heaven on earth.

Our prayer to God: I like to picture Jesus waiting for me in the confessional. He already knows my sins, since He knows all I've done and knows my intentions. But He waits for me to come to Him to receive the gift of forgiveness and the grace of conversion. I always picture Him smiling at me as I leave the confessional, so proud of me that I humbled myself, placed myself on my knees (not a cross), admitted my guilt, asked forgiveness and made restitution. Like Didymus I, too, ask (in my way) “Lord, remember me, when I come before your kingdom.”  On that day, I want to hear Him say, “Well done my good and faithful servant. Now enter into my kingdom.” Today, instead of operating “outside the box,” why not enter into it. The light is on for you for forgiveness and mercy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQcNWYuQH1A&feature=related

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another great devototion and interpretation of Scripture!

bob Kane