Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Devotion for today: My little son, there are many I could send. But you are the one I have chosen."



Today is the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Let us examine a few lines from her apparitions to Juan Diego. For a complete history of the apparitions, and an explanation of the image, see the links at the end of the blog.

 

 

“My dear little son, I love you. I desire you to know who I am. I am the ever-virgin Mary, Mother of the true God who gives life and maintains its existence. He created all things. He is in all places. He is Lord of Heaven and Earth.”


“My little son, there are many I could send. But you are the one I have chosen."

"My little son, am I not your Mother? Do not fear.” 

"Do not be distressed, my littlest son. Am I not here with you who am your Mother? Are you not under my shadow and protection?

 

My thoughts: Our Lady of Guadalupe gave Juan Diego several messages, yet one theme emerges from them all: “I am your mother. Do not be afraid”. We need to hear these words today, as many fears plague us in our daily struggles to be holy, healthy, happy and financially secure. We seem to always be on the precipice of disaster, yet here is Our Blessed Mother, coming to us in a vision, and reminding us that we are “under her shadow and protection”. Our hearts should be calm, our spirits light, as we reflect on the fact that this is Our Lady of the Americas. We are in good hands. Let us not tremble at the thought of being chosen by Mary to do her work, and that of her Son. Just as she gave Juan Diego all he needed to fulfill her requests, so, too, will we be given all we need when we say yes to Mary and do the work she asks of us. Our Lady of Guadalupe, pray for us.

Prayer: Prayer to the Virgin of Guadalupe
By Msgr. Eduardo Chávez

Blessed Virgin of Guadalupe,

mother of the true God for whom we live, Bearer of

Jesus Christ who gives us his Spirit and life in the Church.

We thank you for being our loving and compassionate

mother; because you hear our weeping and our sorrow;

because you are the remedy and the cure for our grief,

our misery and our pain.

Thank you, Mother, for placing us in your heart, for

allowing us to be under your shadow and your

protection, for being the source of our joy, and for

keeping us in the hollow of your robe and the crossing

of your arms.

Thank you, our Mother, for sending this message

through your humble son St. Juan Diego, and through

his intercession we ask that you fortify us in Peace, in

Unity and in Love.

Amen.

 

For a description of the Tilma image:


For a brief history of the apparitions:


 

No comments: