Thursday, July 25, 2013

Devotion for today: A pilgrim is first of all sought…


Our Lady of Czestochowa

John 15:16: It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you…

The following is an excerpt from the book The Redeemer’s Call to Consecrated Souls, a beautiful collection of messages given by Jesus to a French nun in the 1930’s (Logos Institute Press).  Jesus is the speaker, so read this very slowly and let His words sink into your soul:

“Where” and “when” do you seek Me? Must this not be “everywhere” and “always”? In truth, do I not reside “in all places” through the unchanging Eternity of My acts of Love?

And what is it to you, this “everywhere and always” if not:

“the now of each instant”
“the dwelling place of the present moment.”

For keep this in mind: I am only present in the present moment, in this “active” presence that is given life by love – in the loving  present that is “My Will incarnate in your duties at this very moment, right where you are.” Physically you are bound to be there, but are you there in spirit, with your heart, your will, your soul?

Still another question to stir the fervor of your searching:

 Do you think, do you believe that it is “Me,” My own Heart that makes the first overtures?
That the main seeker is Me?
The One who searches for, who pursues your souls?
That you would not be seeking Me if I Myself were not first seeking you?

That each one of you has been insatiably searched for, insatiably pursued in this present time?

Ask Mary to make you understand that being among Love’s chosen ones, you are by that very token “pursued,” and moreover, you are all the more pursued the more completely you have given yourselves up to Love.

“Mutual searching, mutual pursuit, precondition for transforming encounter.”

And see in my “appeal” an evident touching expression of my Heart’s merciful searching. Meditate on it in this light, that you may live it in the fire of this vast divine Charity.

I read this passage in my book today while I was in church awaiting the start of daily Mass. Suddenly, deep in my soul, the entire nature of my pilgrimage changed. I went seeking Jesus, yet He lives in the present moment of my everyday life, every moment He is there, reaching down with His hands, asking me to put my hands in His, every moment of my life! He is insatiably pursuing me!!! What a though! This passage takes my breath away.

As I traveled in Poland, I felt the need to step out of my life for awhile and step into God’s, much like Jesus fled to the hills for times of quiet prayer. I saw Him in the many, many churches we visited and felt His presence in the holiness of His sacred countenance in the grace-filled image of Divine Mercy and the unspeakable beauty of His Mother’s face in Czestochowa.  I sought Him in the mountains of Zakapane and in the city streets of Warsaw, and I found Him. I found Him and I loved Him and I never wanted to leave His arms again.

 And yet, it was actually Jesus who was pursuing me, calling me out of myself and into Him.  “That you would not be seeking Me if I Myself were not first seeking you?” Do we really realize what Jesus is saying to us here? He wants every single moment of our lives to be spent with Him. If we are home caring for a child or working in an office or confined to bed, He says our wills must be united to His. We are all guilty of being physically in the moment but mentally elsewhere, not fully in tune with why God is asking this of us at this moment, and yet He says we must always be in tune with Him. Of course! How could we ever sin if we were, in every second of our lives, in tune with the presence of God?  Insatiably searched for, insatiably pursued in the present time…. Has anyone ever loved us this much? Insatiably?

 Let us spend much time in prayer to Our Lady today, as Jesus requests, to help us to more fully understand that we are God’s chosen ones, that He is pursuing us, and that the more we are willing to give ourselves completely to Him, the more we can expect a “transforming encounter” with Love. Study the picture of Our Lady of Czestochowa and note – Mary is pointing us toward her Son, always and forever, asking us to go to her Son, and to do whatever He tells us.

PRAYER TO OUR LADY OF CZESTOCHOWA
[TO BE SAID EACH DAY UPON ARISING]
 

HOLY MOTHER of Czestochowa, Thou art full of grace,
goodness and mercy. I consecrate to Thee all my thoughts,
words and actions----my soul and body. I beseech Thy
blessings and especially prayers for my salvation.
Today, I consecrate myself to Thee, Good Mother, totally
 ----with body and soul amid joy and sufferings to obtain
for myself and others Thy blessings on this earth and
eternal life in Heaven. Amen.

No comments: