Monday, January 9, 2012

Devotion for today: Let us offer our resolutions to the Lord

Today is the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord, and the day we offer our new resolutions to God.

Scripture for meditation: Isaiah 55:6-8; 12
Seek the Lord while he may be found, call him while he is near. Let the scoundrel forsake his way, and the wicked man his thoughts; let him turn to the Lord for mercy; to our God, who is generous in forgiving. For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord. Yes, in joy you shall depart, in peace you shall be brought back; Mountains and hills shall break out in song before you, and all the trees of the countryside shall clap their hands.

Christ proclaims: Mark 1:14-15
After John’s arrest, Jesus appeared in Galilee proclaiming the good news of God: “This is the time of fulfillment. The reign of God is at hand! Reform your lives and believe in the gospel!”

St. Francis de Sales summarizes our week’s work in this manner (An Introduction to the Devout Life):
...examine what you have done…thus: 1) In your love towards God, your neighbor, and yourself 2) In your hatred of your own sin and that of others, for we ought to seek to do away with both the one and the other 3) In your desire of worldly goods and pleasures and honors 4) In your fear of the dangers of sin, and of the loss of this world’s goods: men fear the one too much, and the other all too little 5) In your hope, which has perhaps been centered overmuch on the world and the flesh, and too little on God and things of eternity 6) In sadness, whether it has been inordinate 7) In joy, whether it was excessive for vain, empty trifles 8) What affections hinder your heart, what passions rule it and what most distracts it.
  O my soul (so should you say), you are able to know, love and long after God; why would you take pleasure in anything short of Him? You can aim at eternity, why would you trifle away your energies on time? It was one of the prodigal son’s sorrows that, instead of living sumptuously at his father’s table, he ate the coarse food of swine. My soul, you are capable of seeking God; woe to you if you rest in anything else.”
 Then pray, “O cherished resolutions! You are as the tree of life which God has with His own hand planted in the midst of my heart, and which my Savior waters with His own blood that it may bring forth fruit. I would rather die a thousand deaths than suffer any blast of wind to uproot you. No, neither vanity nor pleasure, neither poverty nor wealth shall ever alter my intentions. O my Lord, You have planted this lovely tree, and have preserved it for my garden from eternity in your paternal breast. Alas! How many souls have not been so richly blest! How then can I humble myself sufficiently before your tender pity and compassion?  Good and holy resolutions! I will keep you, and you shall keep me: if you live in my soul, my soul will live in you. Live forever, then. O good resolutions! Since, from God’s mercy, you are from all eternity, continue and dwell forever in me; let me never forsake you. Amen.

Prayer of St. John Neumann: O my Jesus, I rejoice that I can again show my love for you….From this day I will begin a new life. With the help of your grace I will be patient, diligent, and devout. Show me the occasions in which I may practice my good resolutions. Grant, O Jesus, my request to love and praise you with my whole heart, with my whole soul, and with all my strength. Mother of Jesus, pray to your Son for me. (St. John Neumann’s Favorite Prayers: Taken from his diary; www.stjohnneumann.org)

My thoughts: We have now completed our New Year’s spiritual resolution process and offered everything to God. May we strive with great passion to keep these resolutions and become the people God wants us to be. Happy New Year to all of you!

No comments: