Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Devotion for today: Pray for your confessor




"As the Father has sent me, even so I send you. . . . Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained" (John 20:21–23). 

I have lived in many cities and have belonged to many parishes. I have had many wonderful experiences in the Confessional and some that were less than stellar. I have gone through stages which governed my choice of confessors: when young, I liked the priest who told me I was a good girl and not to worry about my little sins. That was fine when I was nine years old. Then as a young adult I wanted a confessor who gave me three Hail Mary’s and told me to make a good Act of Contrition no matter what I said to him. That was fine when I was 20. As I matured in my faith, however, I realized that I did not need a cheerleader, nor did I need a disinterested sleeper. I needed someone to tell me when I was really on a good path and making great headway in my relationship with God by searching my soul and finding its sins, or at other times, to wake me up and tell me what was really going on behind the sins I chose to tell. Choosing a good confessor is serious business. St. Faustina gives us this advice in her Diary, entry 938:


The soul should have prayed ardently and at greater length for a director and should have asked the Lord himself to choose a spiritual director for it. What begins in God will be godly, and what begins in a purely human manner will remain human. God is so merciful that, in order to help a soul He himself chooses the spiritual guide and will enlighten the soul concerning the one before whom it should uncover the most hidden depths of its soul just as it sees itself before the Lord Jesus himself. And when the soul considers and recognizes that God has been arranging all this, it should pray fervently for the confessor that he might have the divine light to know it well. And let it not change such a director except for a serious reason. Just as it had prayed fervently and at great length in order to learn God's will before choosing a director, so too should it pray fervently and at great length to discern whether it is truly God's will that he leave this director and choose another. If God's will is not absolutely clear, he should not make this change, for a person will not go far by himself, and Satan wants just this: to have the person who is aspiring for sanctity direct himself because then, without doubt, he will never attain it…
(Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska, Marian Press, 2012).

Why do I bring this up? I am not attacking priests, by any means. I am not saying that you will not receive the graces offered in Confession if you get a disinterested priest. You will always receive the graces of the sacrament if your intention is pure and your desire is reconciliation with God. We are so blessed in the Catholic Church to have Confession, so that we can name our sins out loud, expel them from our souls, and receive God’s grace to begin a new life. That is why I am saying you must choose your confessor carefully. Most people put more time and energy into buying a new car than they do in choosing a confessor. It is very advisable to go to different priests until you find one who truly listens to you and offers you suggestions for ridding yourself of your sins. Matthew Kelly, in his excellent book “Rediscover Catholicism: A Spiritual Guide to Living with Passion & Purpose” states it this way:

People say to me all the time, “I cannot go to Confession with my priest.” When I ask them why, they reply, “Because he knows me.” The priest is supposed to know you. It helps that he knows you. The more he knows you the more helpful he can be to you in your inner journey. You don’t go to a different doctor every time you are sick. Your doctor knows you – your medical history, your allergies, and the circumstances of your life. All this makes him or her infinitely more effective. Similarly, you can go to Confession with a priest who does not know you, or you can go to a different priest every time, but there is an additional advantage to having a regular confessor: Because he knows you and the various aspects of your life, he is able to provide unique insight and continuity to the experience….One thing that we have lost sight of is that the priest is there to help you become the best version of yourself. He has given his whole life to serve the people of God, so at that moment the only thing he is concerned with is helping you in your journey to become all God created you to be….(Beacon Publishing, 2010)

The honest truth is that we hate our sins and are ashamed of them. It is good for us for feeling that way!! It is bad for us if we let that stop us from getting rid of them. It is like a person who is a smoker not telling her doctor that fact in a yearly physical. You would shake your head and say she must really be ashamed of her smoking not to tell her doctor. It makes you wonder if she is afraid the doctor is going to tell her she must, absolutely must stop smoking. So it is with sin. Shame, sadness, and yes, fear that we will really have to stop the behavior all cause us to take the Sacrament of Confession too lightly. It is our gateway to heaven. Let us pray to God to find a good confessor for our souls, and for the strength to always seek reconciliation with our Lord who loves us so deeply. As we prepare for Divine Mercy Sunday this Sunday, let us reflect on what Jesus revealed to St. Faustina in Diary entry 1074:

My daughter, tell all people that I am Love and Mercy itself. When a soul approaches me with trust, I fill it with such an abundance of graces that it cannot contain them within itself, but radiates them to other souls.




No comments: