Thursday, August 29, 2013

Devotion for today: Faith is a star to brighten the horizon of our journey: continuing study of Lumen Fidei




Today we will look at my husband’s answers to the questions from yesterday’s blog reading of sections 4-7 of the introduction to Lumen Fidei (with commentary from me).

Scripture passage for reflection: Romans 7:17-24:  So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God, in my inmost self, but I see in my members, another law at war with the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin which dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?

1)      Questions for section 4: Given that there are three main areas of life which faith illumines, let’s say the soul, the body and the earth, how do our relations with God, ourselves and others, and our environment suffer when we extinguish the light of faith?

Al (my husband) says that our relationship with God ceases to exist since we no longer see a reason to have a relationship with Him. Our relationship with ourselves means that when you let go of God, you let go of conscience, so anything goes, you can do anything you want and be self-gratifying and selfish. Other people become a burden unless they serve you and if they don’t, they are of little consequence. As far as the environment goes, we have less of an ability to value those things around us, since they cease to be gifts from God (in our minds).

I like what I read in Fr. Michael Gaitley’s book “The One in Three” (Marian Press, 2012). He explains it this way: “…and when he [man] pulls away from [God], he immediately suffers an effect in his soul…. Reason becomes darkened such that it doesn’t clearly see the good; the will becomes fickle and weak, and the passions become wild, unpredictable and difficult to control….when man breaks communion with God, he quickly sets himself up as his own god and sees himself as the center of the universe, which causes a multitude of evils….Instead of the original harmony with creation…men torture animals and pollute the environment….

3)      When did you first realize that God had called you to a life of faith? Was it like a spark that became a burning flame?

Al says: for me it was when I made my Cursillo in 1982. I really saw that God loved me and that He could show Himself to me through the love and faith of a community. This was the first time I had ever experienced this and it changed my life. It was like a spark that became a burning flame since I then wanted to share this wonderful joy with everyone I met.

For me, I had a great faith at a very young age. I used to keep an altar in my closet starting when I was in the second grade. It was a shoe box turned upside down, covered with a “borrowed” handkerchief from my dad’s drawer, with a little plastic statue of Mary and two cotton balls dotted with my mom’s perfume. I would put little clover leaves on it as an offering, and I would write letters to Mary asking her to appear to me as she did to Bernadette. I though no one knew of my altar, so you can imagine my shock in the mornings when my letters were gone!! As I grew older, I cried at the Stations of the Cross every Friday when our school went for the Lenten Devotions, and in college I went to Mass every day during Lent. I was sure I wanted to become a nun, but I had fallen in love and made a novena to see where I should direct my life. God led me to my husband of 39 years.  God lived in me and my faith was always strong even if my will and resolve to “do good” were weak. So I guess I never had a spark that turned into a flame, just an ever-glowing ember.

1)      “Why is it not enough to have a private faith, one that we share with God but not with our fellow man?

Al says, “Because God reveals Himself to us through other people, so that we must be willing to share God once we have come to know Him. God can reveal Himself to other people through us, so we must be willing to live our faith at work, in our families, and in our communities.

Me: Pope Francis reminds us that Jesus, “then told him [Peter] to strengthen his brothers and sisters in that same faith” and he and the apostles did just that, “for it had brought them to the light and given birth within them to divine life, a new experience and a luminous vision of existence.” If we discover that faith will truly change our lives and bring us peace, direction and eternal life, why wouldn’t we want to share it with everyone?

2)      Would you say that your faith brings “grandeur and fulfillment” to your life? Why or why not?

Al says, “Definitely. It opened my eyes to be able to realize that God truly loves me and wants me to be with Him in heaven, and that He wants me to help others to find this love and road to eternal glory. This has become my life’s mission and I am very thankful for it.”

Me: I cannot imagine a life without faith, so yes, I would say it does. 1 Corinthians 2:9 tells us that “However, as it is written: "What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived" -- the things God has prepared for those who love him”. What is the purpose of life if not to know, love and serve God in this world and then be happy with Him in the next?  My faith has given me a glimpse of heaven at times, and I love what I have seen.  I live every day of my life in love with God and the world He has given to me, and my only wish is really to bring as many people as I can into this true and glorious way of life.

1)      In what ways can you help to bring “the primacy of God in Christ” to the center of your life? How should your parish be helping you to do this?

Al says, “Well, by learning more about Christ through reading and sharing with others about how Christ is acting in our lives – how He is making a difference in our lives, and by regular prayer and attending Mass and going to Perpetual Adoration on a regular basis, daily if possible.  My parish has activities to bring people together to share Christ’s love. For example, last year I attended a program my parish sponsored called “Lightworks” which taught me Lectio Divina or how to read and understand scripture, and then share my experience with my group. It was exhilarating.

Me: I do this by very regular prayer practices: morning prayer before I get out of bed, daily Mass, rosary, recitation of the Angelus at Noon, Chaplet of Divine Mercy during the hour of mercy from 3-4 pm, and the Chaplet of the Seven Sorrows of Mary as my night time prayer. I try to get to church a half hour before Mass starts to make a Holy Half Hour every day, and during the day I keep little prayers running through my head such as “Jesus my Lord, my God, my All, how can I love You as I ought?” People ask me how I find the time to do this, along with spiritual reading and blog writing and still lead a busy life, and I guess the answer is to try and always set aside a part of every hour for God by running a prayer in your head or by remembering to say thank you to God for His many gifts. Make as much of what you do in your day holy! For help with what you watch on TV, by the way, check out http://piusmedia.com/. We subscribe to this and have seen such wonderful shows – helping us to stay positive and uplifted. Parishes should give top priority to groups for sharing the faith, communications for sharing faith-inspiring resources, and devotions for leading people closer to God and His Mother.

1)      If faith really does enable us to “joyfully advance along that way (to the future) on wings of hope” then why don’t more people have true faith?

 Al says, “Because they would have to make major changes in their lives, ones that are gratifying to the senses and to give them up requires sacrifice and change and that is extremely difficult for those who have allowed themselves to become self-centered.”

I say it is because not enough people are inspired to speak up and out about their beliefs. How many of us stay quiet while someone blasts the Church and its stand on abortion and marriage? How many of us fuss and fume about the tide in society but still engage in more secular activities than in ones designed to bring people to Christ? If people are to find true faith, they need someone to bring it to them.

2)      Let’s answer the two questions Pope Francis gives us at the end of 7. But what is it like, this road which faith opens up before us? What is the origin of this powerful light which brightens the journey of a successful and fruitful life? 

 Al says, “The road is a very scenic one with many dimensions and is very exciting. There are many challenges along the way, but overcoming the challenges makes life fulfilling.
FAITH IN  AND LOVE OF GOD of course leads to a fruitful life.

 I just watched the movie “The Way” with Martin Sheen and Emelio Estevez. In it, a father sets out to follow the El Caminode Santiago trail to the Shrine of St. James in Spain, a trail on which his son died. He overcomes many setbacks and trials, anything from bothersome people to physical hardship, yet he does it, and discovers the beauty of the universe and qualities of love in himself and in his fellow man that he didn’t know existed. I like to think this road which faith opens before us is like that. If we place our hand in God’s, and never ever let go, then we will see vistas we never imagined and experience people in a way we never did before. The origin of the light on the trial, the Son of God in all His glory, will never grow dim or fade away. Thus bathed in that light, our lives can never stop being successful and fruitful in God’s eyes.

Check this out!!! http://lumenfidei.com/st-augustine-faith-and-reason/?  I think I will get this.



Send me some of your answers at bertinisandy@gmail.com








No comments: