Friday, August 30, 2013

Devotion for today: suffering souls




Luke 9:23: Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.

This  is a short blog today because, for the second time in a week, I have had oral surgery and it is causing me great discomfort. My friend told me yesterday that I am a suffering soul and that God needs us in the world right now to practice redemptive suffering. I have been doing this for some time and was grateful to her for sharing her thought because it reminded me to share it with you. She suffers from MS and every day is a struggle for her, yet she offers it up for the salvation of souls in the world and for the conversion of sinners so that we may find peace and not hatred in our world. I have seen so many of my friends suffering right now, one with a reconstructed foot, one with terrible food allergies that actually alter her mood and outlook on life, one just found out he has prostate cancer, and the beat goes on. Some are suffering emotional pain, such as the rejection of their once-loving children or the infidelity of a spouse. It can all be offered up. God can and will honor our sacrifice, and in the meantime, we will never be taking our eyes off of Him. It isn't easy to suffer, but when you place yourself on the cross with Christ, remember, it is He who is behind you. Hear the words, "Well done my good and faithful servant."

I hope you enjoyed the little study of "Lumen Fidei" we just did. Since I have always deferred to experts, however, I think I will recommend this book and let's do something else next week. Al thanks you as well for letting him share his faith with you!

http://lumenfidei.com/st-augustine-faith-and-reason/?utm_source=The+Lumen+Fidei+Email+List&utm_campaign=f747070c76-Feast+of+Saint+Augustine

Prayer Before a Crucifix

Look down upon me, good and gentle Jesus, while before Your face I 
humbly kneel, and with burning soul pray and beseech You to fix deep
 in my heart lively sentiments of faith, hope, and charity, true contrition
 for my sins, and a firm purpose of amendment; while I contemplate 
with great love and tender pity Your five wounds, pondering over them
 within me, and calling to mind the words which, long ago, David the 
prophet spoke in Your own person concerning You, my Jesus: "They 
have pierced My hands and My feet; they have numbered all My 
bones."

No comments: